Are you facing High Disk Usage issue on your Windows 11 PC? Here, I will be sharing multiple methods to fix this issue.
What is Disk Usage?
Disk usage refers to the consumption of the disk by various apps. When the disk usage is higher than its normal percentage, it causes lag and slows down the processes. You can check the disk usage via the Task Manager
- Press CTRL, Shift and Esc keys in combination to bring up the Task Manager window.
- Under the Processes Tab, you will the ‘Disk’ section. This will show you the disk usage in percentage.
High disk usage can be caused due to a virus or running too many apps simultaneously or it might be due to other reasons as well.
Following are some of the methods to help you get rid of this issue.
Related Guide: Fix Broken Registry Items in Windows 11
Method # 01: Run a Virus Scan
Sometimes, the issue of high disk usage is caused due to a virus.
In this case, you need to run a virus scan via the antivirus. You can use your desired antivirus program for this purpose or you can opt for the Windows Security.
To use Windows Security, follow these steps:
- Use the search bar to access Windows Security.
- Click on the ‘Virus & Threat protection’ menu.
- Under this window, you will see ‘Scan options’.
- Click on it, select ‘Full scan’ and then click on ‘Scan now’.
Method # 02: Reboot your PC
The first thing that you need to do is to restart your PC. Open the Start menu and click on the Power button and then Restart your PC. Check the disk usage after the PC has restarted.
Method # 03: Update Hard Disk’s Firmware
Firmware is a software through which hardware devices are controlled. In this case, updating the hard disk’s firmware might probably get rid of this issue.
- Open search menu and type ‘Device Manager’.
- In the Device Manager window, locate the ‘Disk drives’ section and expand it.
- Note the model of your hard disk and then search the web for its firmware.
- Head to the manufacturer’s site to download the latest version of the firmware.
Method # 04: Run a chkdsk Scan
This scan is a tool for analyzing errors in the system and fixes them.
Step # 1: Open search menu and type ‘cmd’. Open it as administrator.
Step # 2: Type the following command in the cmd window:
chkdsk c: /f /r /x
Step # 3: Wait for the scan until it finishes.
These were some of the methods to help you fix the issue of high dish usage in Windows 11. Hopefully, these methods work out for you.