Are programs running automatically at startup slowing your PC? In this guide, you will learn 5 methods to disable startup programs in Windows 11.
While startup programs is good feature for frequently used and necessary applications like antivirus, having too many of them can slow down your Windows 11 PC. This is the reason we recommend to disable un-necessary startup applications to boost boot speed and system performance.
- How to Disable Snap Layouts in Windows 11
- How to Change Administrator in Windows 11
- How to Find IP Address in Windows 11
There are multiple ways to disable startup programs in Windows 11. Let’s check out!
Method # 1: Disable Startup Application from Settings
- Click Start and select Settings. If you cannot see Settings in the Start menu, use search to open Settings.
- Select Apps in the left panel and then on the right panel, select Startup.
- All the startup applications will be listed here with an impact indicator which tells how much resources an application consumes at startup. Simply set the toggle to Off to prevent the application from running at startup.
Method # 2: Disable Startup Applications using Registry Editor
- Right click on Start and select Run. Type in regedit and press Enter.
- Navigate to the following directory: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
- Look for the application you want to disable in the right panel, right click on it and select Delete. This will disable that startup application.
Method # 3: Disable Startup Applications from Startup Folder
There is a folder on Windows where the startup applications’ shortcuts are kept. You can delete the shortcut from that folder to disable the application’s launch at startup.
- Right click on Start and click Run. Type in shell:startup and press Enter.
- This will open the Startup folder. Delete the application shortcut which you want to disable startup and you are done.
Method # 4: Disable Startup Applications from Task Manager
- Right click on the Start button and select Task Manager or simple press the CTRL + SHIFT + ESC buttons to open the Task Manger.
- Click on the Startup at the top of the Task Manager window. This will display all applications which can be configured to launch at boot with their impact displayed under the Startup impact column.
- Select the application you want to disable and then click the Disable button. You can also right click on the application and select Disable from the pop-up menu.
Method # 5: Disable Startup Application from Task Scheduler
- Use the search to open Task Scheduler.
- Select Task Scheduler Library in the left panel. Now select the startup application you want to disable in the center and then click Disable in the right panel.
So there were 5 simplest methods to remove certain programs from startup list in Windows 11. Let me know if you have any question related to this Windows 11 guide.